Chevy Cobalt Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Would It Be a Good Idea Just to Get Lowering Springs Using the Stock Shocks Struts ?

5K views 16 replies 11 participants last post by  IndyCobalt19 
#1 ·
Hey guys I've been thinking about lowering my Balt but I also am on a budget, I was thinking about just getting a set of lowering springs but before I did I wanted to make sure that it would be okay with all the stock struts and shocks without completely trashing the car. Plzzzzzz help !!!!!! Thanks

#2 ·
It is a good idea to replace shocks and struts at the same time. I have ksport springs and i had to replace the shocks because they went bad pretty quick after the springs went on. Have not replaced the struts yet. I should prolly do that before the snow starts falling

#4 ·
You could probably run stock shocks and struts for 2-4,000 miles if youre feeling ballsy. But It is recommended you change them.

#5 ·
you will be fine! ive put roughly 20,000 on my car lowered on progress springs with stock struts.. ive met ppl that have run sportlines for over 100,000 miles on stock stuff without blowing a strut. it all depends on how hard you push your car or how good your roads are i guess.. the fe5 struts are always a good option to upgrade to if you ever want to tho

#6 · (Edited)
you will be fine! ive put roughly 20,000 on my car lowered on progress springs with stock struts.. ive met ppl that have run sportlines for over 100,000 miles on stock stuff without blowing a strut. it all depends on how hard you push your car or how good your roads are i guess.. the fe5 struts are always a good option to upgrade to if you ever want to tho
exactly^^ i would add how good you are at dodging potholes, and slowing down for bumps too.

if youre doing the swap yourself, it will save you a lot of cuss words doing them at the same time though.

#9 ·
It's your choice man, is it a good idea to do it all at once? Yes it is a good idea. Do you have too? No you don't. There have been people who have put over 100K on their factory FE1's with a 2-2.5 drop. Other guys hav not had that good of an result. I currently have over 20K on my FE1's on a 2-2.5 with coils cut, no issues as of yet.

#10 ·
I wanted to get Sportlines or any other good lowering springs. Thing is I have an auto and heard about axle bind.

#11 ·
I have my auto trans dropped nearly 4 inches in stance coilovers, no problems with axle bind yet.

---------- Post added at 11:32 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:31 PM ----------

Also I'd stay away from sportlines, I had a set and they snapped on me after just a couple thousand miles. No good.

#14 ·
But a lowered appearance and black wheels look hotz!

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.