Chevy Cobalt Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've come across a 2007 Chevy Cobalt SS/SC w/34k miles, 1 owner, and a clean Autocheck report. Only downfall so far is asking price. I currently own a 2007 Sunburst Orange Cobalt SS NA w/47k miles. The SS/SC has the optional High Rise spoiler, and is Black. Now, IF I can negotiate to the right price, would it be even worth trying to buy it?

I know it will all come down to just how badly do I want the car, but I would like to ask for opinionated input.

·
Levee
3,210 Posts
Well, it does have less miles, a much easier engine to make power out of, but is worse on the mpgs. Insurance will probably be about the same, but parts may be a little more expensive. Other than that, I say decide weather you want power and speed or better gas mileage with ok speed.

·
Registered
279 Posts
I've come across a 2007 Chevy Cobalt SS/SC w/34k miles, 1 owner, and a clean Autocheck report. Only downfall so far is asking price. I currently own a 2007 Sunburst Orange Cobalt SS NA w/47k miles. The SS/SC has the optional High Rise spoiler, and is Black. Now, IF I can negotiate to the right price, would it be even worth trying to buy it?

I know it will all come down to just how badly do I want the car, but I would like to ask for opinionated input.
If you don't buy the other ss I sure would! I want a sc car!

·
Registered
402 Posts
Take the money you would use and put it into the one you got. be different :)

·
Premium Member
3,860 Posts
You can't put regular gas in the SS/SC if that means anything. The SC has the FE5 suspension, which is superior to the FE3 in your N/A SS, so it will handle better in exchange for a slightly firmer ride. Black is a sweet color, however dirt and dust seem to stand out more against the paint, and it'll turn your car into a sauna when parked too long in the sun. Apart from that and the other pros and cons mentioned, that's all I can think of. In the end it's completely up to you.

---------- Post added at 06:54 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:48 PM ----------

Take the money you would use and put it into the one you got. be different :)
That's a good point. 9/10 times it's cheaper and more effective to mod your car than buy a new one and start over. If you use the money you'd spend on the SC and put it towards performance modifications for your current car (FI + other goodies) you would have no problem of dispatching that lsj. That is, of course, if your plans involve any kind of hp gains/racing. Again, it's your call. :)

·
Levee
3,210 Posts
Actually, without building the engine internals on the 2.4 he wouldnt make enough to beat a mildly modded lsj. You forget the 2.4 has much higher compression and throwing boost at it really makes it unreliable as the internals were not designed for high compression boost applications and he would destroy the bottom end very easily.

·
Premium Member
3,860 Posts
While I don't doubt you, I'm pretty sure the price of that SS/SC (10k +/-) when invested correctly would be enough to do the work necessary to build a reliable turbo FE5. However, I was running on the assumption that we'd be comparing to a stock LSJ. It's potential as an engine must be higher than that of the 2.4, so matching mod for mod, the SC would probably edge it out.

However, I'm not a tuner, and all this I base on my own educated guesses. I don't mind being wrong, so feel free to correct me. Afterall, you don't learn anything by being right. :)

·
Registered
2,036 Posts
Yes for the money he'd spend upgrading to the 2.0 he'd probably be at a higher HP on the 2.4 (with the 2.0 stock). But the 2.4 in 2007 didn't have the forged internals and can only handle about 250 WHP (and even there you're pushing the limit) where as the 2.0 with just a few upgrades makes more power and should be more reliable. On top of that the 2.0 can be more efficient at cruise than the 2.4, normally a SC helps cruising MPG.

·
Levee
3,210 Posts
Building the 2.4 to safely handle good boost amounts would cost around $4-5k, then the cost of the FI kits $1500-4000 (depending on the kit), tune, fuel system upgrades, ect, youd be right around $10K if you do the work. However, get the ss/sc, convert to turbo for a few grand, then blow the doors off all the rest of the balts.

In the end, it is ALWAYS cheaper to start a FI build on a car that had FI from the factory, if you want it safe with much more power.

·
Registered
563 Posts
Lsj turbo is the way to go

·
Registered
563 Posts
Just get cheap hookers. Problem solved

·
Super Moderator
11,821 Posts

·
Registered
563 Posts
cold medicine?

·
Registered
101 Posts
I would take the money you have and put it towards the cobalt you have now. Dont worry about the high rise spoiler...buy one for your cobalt. Black color makes too much swirl marks and is too hard to keep black looking good. And the milage you have isnt bad at all. Dont be blinded about having a second cobalt. Keep the money. All in all I would keep the money and put it towards the cobalt you have now. Hope this helped.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I would check two main things first.
1. How much longer will I have a car note than if I leave it alone. Look at total paybacks too which is something the bank does not automatically let you know. You have to ask for it.
2. How much difference will the insurance be. Only way to know that is to give your agent the vin on the other car so he can run it and let you know for sure.
Do all that before you go through with it or you may regret it when you are paying on the other one at a point when the one you have now would be paid for and it is time to buy kid's braces or pay the vet bill when the dog gets hit by a car. Tuition......

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.