Chevy Cobalt Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So i jsut got my short antenna in, so i figured yeah its dark but its not something hard to install lol. So i got outside to unscrew my old antenna and put my new one on. well holy hell wtf. The damn antenna would not budge i couldnt unscrew it for anything. i messing around with it and finally go get a wrence to unscrew it, it grip the thing as hard as i can and try to turn and its still not going anywhere. Frustrated my neighboor and his 2 sons and their friends come over to see what im doing, their trying to help, still wasnt working. Finally my father comes over to see whats going on and he tries to help. My mother sees all these people outside so she comes to see whats going on. Now theres like 10 people around my car because my damn antenna wont unscrew. Finally i get the antenna to start to move, but the bottom piece thats attached to the car is moving aswell, the antenna itself isnt unscrewing. My father gets another wrenc and hes holding the bottom while i try and unscrew the top and still no luck. so i said **** it and went inside.

What am i doing wrong, the thing i dont get is, like a month ago i went to the car wash and the mexican worker there unscrewed it wih his bare hands in about seconds, and put it back on in about 3 seconds again with his bare hands.

Im thinking about taking my car to the car wash now just to have them unscrew my anetnna.WTF!

·
Registered
416 Posts
I had that problem too, but it sounds like the person that screwed your antenna back on did it with so much force that he/she might have gone past the threads. Is the housing unit turning while you are attempting to turn the antenna?

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yep the housing is turning. i think i can grab it from inside the trunk and hold it then turn the antenna.

·
Registered
416 Posts
yep the housing is turning. i think i can grab it from inside the trunk and hold it then turn the antenna.
Careful. but that sounds like what has happened.
I'm not an antenna quru, but you might want to hit the screws with a little WD-40 to help with the threads.
Also be careful that the threads on your Balt arent stripped.

·
Registered
416 Posts
two pairs of vice grips outta do it.
funny story.....10 people, 1 antenna. :laugh:
I can just see the neighborhood. :bigsmile:
Wait, I cant laugh...that happened with my Pathfinder a few years back. Seeing the housing spin al I could think about was the wiring inside the housing spinning too. :eek:h:

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
two pairs of vice grips outta do it.
funny story.....10 people, 1 antenna. :laugh:
yeah well i was using a wrench and my dad had vce grips holding the housing, he ripped some rubber off the housing too >=( and still couldnt get it.

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
ohhh i know you werent being rude, i waslaughing about it, sorry if i sounded like i was mad, im not lol. I still think its funny. neighborhood project to get my antenna off lol

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well after more screwing around i finally got the thing off. i was holding the housing of the antenna on the inside of the trunk with some vice grips and then turning the out side of te antenna with a wrench, all after i wd-40ed the whole thing. and finally....... it broke:mad:

So now im stuck on what to do. The thing broke right at the bottom of the antenna where it connects to the car. Theres like 1/4 of a centimeter of thread left so i cat screw my antenna back on. And the housing(rubber part) around the antenna is really lose and wobbles.

Would this be covred under warranty? should i say i went to the car wash and tried to take it off i twisted and it just snapped off? What should i tell chevy happened that will have them fix it under warranty.

·
Registered
1,250 Posts
Yep...this is a known problem. Seen it myself -- 2 people holding the base and the owner trying to unscrew the antenna. Owner ended up buying a new antenna base because he broke the pinch-welds on the bracket in the trunk...and still couldn't get the antenna to separate from the base. Most probably cross threaded from the factory.

Good luck!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.