Chevy Cobalt Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was taking off my Lug nuts and my stupid locking key nut thing broke?!

this is the first car that that has EVER happend to me

before you go saying things let me rule 3 things out

1. I WAS FOR SURE trying to loosen in the right direction (left), I had already loosened 3 nuts

2.I was in no way misusing the key(if there even is a way to do that) it was fully inserted and locked in...

3.I did not just get back from driving the car.. it was sitting in my driveway (its not cold out) for a few hours.

I've taken wheels off a car sooo many times.. this is bullshit

so how the hell does it warp like that, what a p.o.s, cars outa warrenty but would you still go to the dealer and ***** for a new one for free or what?

as you can see the inside ribbon things all warped and snapped...

·
Wootsauce!
8,593 Posts
lol

---------- Post added at 04:22 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:22 PM ----------

have fun

·
Registered
2,625 Posts
go to where you got em and make em fix it

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
well where I got 'em, there just factory wheels but yeah I'm going to the dealer and make them somehow take the wheels off and give me a new set, because this is just rediculous, I've NEVER had that happen...

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
well my dad told me to pop by the dealer tomorrow and they should be able to pop the locking nuts off.. should I bother getting a new key? or just have 5 regular lugs? do rims really ever get stolen from stock cars?

·
hawaii icon
3,089 Posts
your wheels are all stock? you really dont need locking lugs then...

·
Registered
2,625 Posts
FIX IT?? Try replace it, there is no fixing something like that and still maintain structural integrity.
that's what I mean... like fix the problem by replacing it, not actually try to FIX it... shoulda been more careful with the wording

·
I cut stuff
6,238 Posts
yeah sometimes dealers add that crap on for whatever reason. Unless you live in the ghetto there is no reason to have locking lug nuts on factory wheels. those things are a waste of time, money, and effort IMO. bring it to the dealer and being that they are the ones that put them on they should fix the problem for pretty cheap if not free and I would have them put on regular lug nuts also.

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
alright, I'll see if they will take them off for free, or just let me borrow the adaptor and I'll go outside with my little jack and switch it haha!

now I've read you can smack a socket onto them and take them off that way? is that stupid? (I really dont know if this is plausible or not)...sounds like a strong enough socket could do the job...

·
I cut stuff
6,238 Posts
well you could try it but you are taking a risk. I would let the dealer do it. that way if they mess something up they have to pay for it lol

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
yeah good point, or i could just take it to a place to get "brakes done" and when they come to me with the busted key just blame them that they did it rofl..

nah I kid I'll just take it to the dealer lol...

·
Registered
360 Posts
There is a socket you hammer on to remove locking lug nuts.
Sounds like the last time the wheels were installed, they were
torqued to tight.

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
well I took my back wheels of fthe other day to adjust the ebrake.. they were a hard to get off... but when i put them back on I tourqed them to 100Lbs

I didnt touch the front wheels that day though, I figured I would paint those calipers another day(today) but yeah when I went to remove them they were a ***** to try to loosen, and I heard a bang come from the locking keey and that was it... I was sooo pisseed....

But I know for a fact the dealership put those wheels on my car when I bought it(it had snows on it from the prev owner) and I havent tocuhed the wheels since I bought it....

so the dealer must have over tightened the lugs...

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.