Chevy Cobalt Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey I was wondering if anyone knows what the difference between the XFE cobalt and a normal one is? I'm just curious how they get 36 mpg out of it.

·
Registered
142 Posts
According to Chevy, “it uses revised engine calibration, low-rolling-resistance tires, a new, 3.74:1 final drive ratio and other technologies.”
KickingTires: Chevy Cobalt XFE Bests Segment, 36 mpg

So the car is exactly the same except for those small differences, not sure if it effects the performance at all tho

·
Registered
594 Posts
there shouldn't be a huge difference really.

·
Registered
1,250 Posts
According to Chevy, “it uses a new, 3.74:1 final drive ratio”
That final drive ratio will slow the engine speed on the road and should reduce acceleration since it is a "higher" ratio. That's one way to increase mileage....but acceleration usually suffers....a trade-off for fuel economy.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
So they should just call it a slobalt? haha nevermind I guess if I get another one I will get a normal one.

·
Registered
142 Posts
if Chevy really want to sell these, they should just remane the model from:
XFE to XSS (Extra Super Slow)

·
Registered
5 Posts
I just bought an XFE on Saturday, it's not the quickest thing in the world but it's not THAT slow... but I haven't driven another Cobalt so I don't know the difference. The computer in the dash says I'm getting 36mpg since I drove it off the lot (mostly highway, some city) so if that's accurate I can deal with it not being very fast. It runs 2000rpm at 55mph in 5th, what do the others run?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.