Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3,229 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Dear members of YourCobalt,

I have a younger brother who just turned 19. His name is Drew Steeves. He is always looking for ways to 'change the world' and to be a part of something exciting. This summer, he has really planned something great. He has spent months organizing a bike trip across Canada, from Vancouver BC to Halfax, Nova Scotia. He began the initiative in hopes of raising $150,000 for the child soldier initiative in order to help put an end to children being used as weapons. Him and 2 other guys will be making the 7500km bike trip across Canada. The trip will take about 3 months. He left a week ago for Vancouver by plane. They stayed in Vancouver for a few days and held some fundraising events, and spoke at some schools. Yesterday, he texted me that they were in Kelowna, BC.

It would really mean a lot to you all if you would check out his website. He organized the entire thing (with help from a few friends) all on his own. Wether you can donate or not, even if it's $5 or $10, every bit helps. Even taking the time to read his site is much appreciated. He also has a video up.

Zero Force Cycling Team - Child Soldiers Initiative

Wether you are Canadian or not, the cause is a good one, and I really appreciate all of your support as YC members. I think what my brother is doing is amazing, and just though I would share it with you all.

***UPDATE JULY 11 2011***

My brother was in Thunder Bay yesterday. They made it this far already! They should be on their way to Helmo, Ontario today. So far they have raised just over $22,000 but they STILL NEED YOUR HELP!!! if anyone would like to donate to the cause, it would be much appreciated! Remember: tax receipts for donations over $20. They had a couple of tough times the past few weeks, including many flat tires and a broken wheel, but they pushed on.

Here's a pic he took from lake louise earlier on in their trip:

and before anyone asks, no I have no idea who the lady is walking and I doubt my brother does lol.

I'll try to update more frequently, but since I've been away for business in the US, I haven't heard from my brother directly, just every so often get news from my parents.

thanks again YC!!!

**UPDATES 29 JULY**

I saw my brother and his team for the FIRST TIME in 2 months last night. They arrived in St.Lazare, Quebec (where we live, JUST outside of Montreal) around 8:00 PM. They were sweaty as hell! we had steaks and beer ready for them, and a nice cold pool for them to jump in too! I heard lots of awesome stories about their trip. They are in Montreal for 3 days, and then continue their trip. They will be finishing in Halifax in a couple of weeks. I snapped some shots as well

the first, third and fourth guy are the ones cycling across Canada. The second guy is a friend who came along for the trip from Ottawa to St.lazare/Montreal.

There were also a ton of articles on them, here's one I took a pic of this morning:

They were also on Canada AM Monday morning: (they are at 8 minutes and 43 seconds)

http://www.ctv.ca/canadaAMPlayer/index.html?video=506076

Also on a morning show in Ottawa:

http://youtu.be/zVOsSMsAzlY

here is their Facebook page where you can get updates and stories about their trip:
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Zero-Force-Cycling-Team/135291689875002

PLEASE LIKE THEIR PAGE!!! thanks guys!

·
Registered
3,229 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
bump with new updates

·
Registered
3,229 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Bump for updates july 29th!!