Chevy Cobalt Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I did two fronts this Summer on the '08. Now it is Winter and I noticed one of the front door speakers is shot on the '05. I am ordering two because I am expecting the other side to fail as soon as I fix the bad one. I have an '05 Sunfire and all speakers are original. What gives with these Cobalts?

·
Registered
831 Posts
The door speakers on the cobalt are unsealed from water. Many autos Inclose the door speakers in a plastic bowl to keep outside water off of them,

·
Say What again!
6,395 Posts
What kind of speaker did you replace them with? If they were stock replacements, they'll absolutely go again.

Many aftermarket speakers don't use a plastic cone and thus are considered "marine grade" and should provide years of trouble-free service since they can handle being in a wet environment. I don't like the baffles that keep the speakers dry because they absolutely obliterate bass response.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It looks like it was a water problem because the magnet was rusty, the speaker cone was missing a large section where it attaches to the frame, and the connector was wet. I see the water shield covers everything except the speaker area. I had a stock GM speaker on hand so I just replaced it with that. The original lasted 17 years so I guess I shouldn't complain. I was amazed to see that GM is still using the same manual window crank retaining system that I have on my 1968 Firebird. The same tool pushes the little clip off and the handle slides right off. I guess it worked well for 40 years so why change? The best part is that the Wifey didn't even know the speaker was out. :sleep:
Automotive tire Auto part Wood Tool Gas

1 - 4 of 4 Posts