Chevy Cobalt Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,420 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I had my tires rotated today at Discount Tire. Usually, I love these guys. They're fast, seem pretty sharp, and have quality stuff.

Well, I turned out of their lot and immediately noticed a loud sound similar to a playing card stuck in a bicycle spoke. The frequency of the noise increased with speed and stops when I brake. Discount Tire had no clue what it was when I turned around and went back. Either that, or they wouldn't fess up to whatever they botched.

My mechanic threw it up on his lift and we couldn't see anything glaringly obvious. I couldn't reproduce the sound while I was there, either.

As I got closer to home the sound got worse. I stopped by my dealer and was able to reproduce the sound this time. The tech took a look and returned with grim news. After poking around, he's pretty sure a tire tech screwed something up in the drivetrain by improperly jacking the vehicle. They're going to get into it tomorrow morning to verify.

On the plus side, I was just at the dealer the day before for other service and have inspection papers stating things were in the green. I am praying it's covered under warranty, because it could be in the thousands.

Just when I think I've witnessed the zenith of stupidity...

·
Get Out The Sawzall
1,856 Posts
Are you sure they used a Jack? Discount tire is huge and I have never seen them jack anything up by hand, they all have lifts. The reason I mention this is because I don't see any reason, no matter what the type or manufacture the lift might be that any arms of the lift would come anywhere near the front suspension components. Most lifts arms will never reach that far.

·
Registered
1,420 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah, I actually saw them using hand jacks today on the vehicle closest to the window. Don't know on mine.

What I can say with certainty is that the car was quiet as a kitten going in and noisy on the way out.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Even if it isn't under warranty, you could probably contact Discount Tire management and give your case.

If they've really ****ed up your car and refuse to pay for it, just threaten lawsuit. They're totally in the wrong.

·
Premium Member
1,044 Posts
have ur mechanic clearly state it in the inspection notes that the damage was from improper jacking and that it was all copacetic before u left him

·
Banned
68 Posts
Just get a mechanic to prove it was from improper jacking and you got a case

They were in the wrong, they messed your car up, they problem

good luck

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.