Chevy Cobalt Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,336 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I was programming my car (trifecta) with my brothers laptop. Like a p4 era celeron. I thought, its a 2meg tune file, no biggie. NO!

ran the laptop at 100% cpu usage and it crashed loading the tune. So my car is currently not starting and "bricked"

From what I've read it's just run the prog again and all is well, so I'm not stressed since I have a friend bringing me a nice laptop to try...but for those who think, "ive got an old xp laptop sitting around" you may want to think twice.

(PS all I have are tablets and a desktop hence the laptop finding trouble)

---------- Post added at 03:18 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:53 PM ----------

nevermind. car ecm ruined? The program said the cables not connected?

·
Registered
1,336 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ok, got it. Finally!

Here's what I did on the off chance some poor dude is scouring google for a similar fix.

Disconnect the battery. Sent the car into stolen mode. Got me even more scared...but:

Turn the key to START, not just run, but hold it in start mode than continue. You'll hold it in the start position for a while so get comfortable. Than the flash ran... I have NO clue why. But once the engine tune completed let off the start back to just on as the starter came back on. Than my tranny tuned I suppose as the tune % ran twice. (either that or it pulled it out of stolen than tuned)

Boom. Back to life!!!!

So today was new rotors, breaks, spark plugs, hubs, and a tune. Yay! Lots of headache, but good results in the end.

·
Levee
3,210 Posts
I use older laptops for tuning with no issues. Im using a toshiba satellite x205-9800 right now for tuning.

·
Premium Member
3,860 Posts
I use older laptops for tuning with no issues. Im using a toshiba satellite x205-9800 right now for tuning.
Right, those were popular at around the same time the Wall fell in Berlin if I'm not mistaken. Hah, I'm kidding, I don't know the first thing about computers, only the button you press to boot up and the number you call in India when it's on the fritz. Congrats on getting your G5 back up and running!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.