Chevy Cobalt Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
2,204 Posts
It's crap.

Don't waste your money on anything from "CARID" or Andy's Auto Sport...crap places like that.

·
Registered
2,036 Posts
Don't buy one, their a waste of money, instead invest in a real tune.

·
Registered
433 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It's crap.

Don't waste your money on anything from "CARID" or Andy's Auto Sport...crap places like that.
you dont like the carid site? ive heard it was good, but im just new :p

---------- Post added at 12:05 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:04 PM ----------

Don't buy one, their a waste of money, instead invest in a real tune.
thats good to know, what is a real tune?

·
Levee
3,210 Posts
Chips are what they call "canned" tunes as the tunes on them are the same for EVERY car. Meaning they don't take into consideration the temperature changes or altitude changes that can effect the tune.

Most "chips" have been found to actually do more harm than good, where as a lot of the things on the chips are programmed wrong and people blow up their motors from it.

A real tune is getting ahold of someone with HP Tuners or Trifecta and having them tune your car specifically to your car and driving habits. You will get a much safer and custom tune for you.

·
Registered
433 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Chips are what they call "canned" tunes as the tunes on them are the same for EVERY car. Meaning they don't take into consideration the temperature changes or altitude changes that can effect the tune.

Most "chips" have been found to actually do more harm than good, where as a lot of the things on the chips are programmed wrong and people blow up their motors from it.

A real tune is getting ahold of someone with HP Tuners or Trifecta and having them tune your car specifically to your car and driving habits. You will get a much safer and custom tune for you.
well thats good to know, thanks!

·
Levee
3,210 Posts
Anytime! You're welcome!

·
Registered
2,204 Posts
If you're new...

To cars or to just this platform.

I suggest reading/research as your first mod.

Serious.

·
Super Moderator
11,821 Posts

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
I know I'll get a lot of flak for this but...

Tuning or chipping an N/A cobalt in my view is pointless, my SS N/A 5spd had and a DP/intake/Catback I decided to get it tuned, I went through trifecta and after it was done I felt..nothing. we got it dat logged to make sure it loaded and it did, all I really felt was a bit snappier in the throttle, but the power gains? couldn't feel a damn thing it really was a piss away of money. I'd NEVER waste money on a chip for a cobalt, and personally, a tune on an N/A cobalt is a waste. This is personal opinion but if I could do it over again I would have NEVER tuned my SS N/A... my Caddy on the other hand is turbo and I got that tuned, now THAT was some gains ;)

I know you asked about a chip not a tune, but the comment on "first mods" came up and people often ask about tunes so I thought I'd get that outta the way. a new intake is where I'd start for a first mod, it may not make much/any power on its own, but it makes some fun noise.

·
Registered
2,036 Posts
And for the stock tune being lean up top? It's more than just the power the tune adds, when done properly it'll also be safer.

·
Premium Member
3,860 Posts
A tune should be the very last 'performance mod' to do on your car. Build up your bolt-ons or whatever else you need first so the tune will have something to work with instead of choking on stock components. A custom tune can get pricey, and it takes into account many specific variables. Once it's completed, you don't want to be changing things around and have to get retuned. You won't get as much from an NA motor as you would from FI, but if you love your car and you want the best for her, you might as well do it :)

·
Levee
3,210 Posts
A tune should be the very last 'performance mod' to do on your car. Build up your bolt-ons or whatever else you need first so the tune will have something to work with instead of choking on stock components. A custom tune can get pricey, and it takes into account many specific variables. Once it's completed, you don't want to be changing things around and have to get retuned. You won't get as much from an NA motor as you would from FI, but if you love your car and you want the best for her, you might as well do it :)
Where this is mostly true, the only thing I have to say is that a tune being the very last mod you do all depends on the car. The SS/TC's that should be your first mod as just a tune can put you over 300whp, and also with the TC's, EVERY mod you do you have to re-tune the car. The NA tho, I would say the tune is all in what the person really wants from the car, and a lot of the NA tunes mainly focus on the AT portion, and slight fueling and timing for slightly extra power throughout the power band. Other than that, not much is done with the NA.

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
Well I know full well what I want from my NA tune, I want to push it as far as she can reach. Sadly, I am also aware of the limitations of running without boost. At the end of the day, if I could keep pace with a stock LSJ, I would be very satisfied.
I remember after I got my SS N/A tuned and fully bolted I went against a stock SS S/C from a guy in our local club and I still got owned, I was quite upset lol

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
Well a tune isn't all about performance, its to correctly balance your air/fuel mixture based upon your climate. If you add some bolt ons, the tune, if done correctly, it may increase power. The other features are within your PCM's PID's to turn off/on manually. This allows for no o2 sensor in the back, rev limiter, speed limiter, etc.

Trifecta's tune is good for general tuning, but its not laid down best, but for its dollar sense, not too bad. Its basically a street tune, if you were to specify your climate, altitude, and read out your data tables on fuel trim, they could nail it down to get you the best it can. Dyno Tuning is another story. Every shop that offers it, be known to sign a waiver form about them possibly damaging the car. Its liability on their end. If the tuner at the shop knows what he is doing, then you should have no worries, just keep the rev limiter still intact, unless you have that motor built over stock. Dyno tuning will gain you the best results and is permanently stored in your PCM's adaptive tables.

Chips or programmers that have auto features such as "power" or "performance" buttons on them, stay clear...JET is one of them also. Their just a waste of money, JET spends too much on advertising. They do work on older OBDII computers, but only ones with EEPROM and older soldering methods like what Hondata used to do.

·
Registered
2,204 Posts
Well I know full well what I want from my NA tune, I want to push it as far as she can reach. Sadly, I am also aware of the limitations of running without boost. At the end of the day, if I could keep pace with a stock LSJ, I would be very satisfied.
Do what Steve did with a ported head/cams.

And gut the car and make it totally a headache to street.

Then run an LSJ car. I bet it wouldn't be too far off.

:cheesy:

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.