1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2,625 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
240 Posts
Those are called racing stripes and there purpose is so the driver of the race car can easily guide the car through the turns better, using the stripes as a reference mark vs the surrounding terrain.

·
Registered
276 Posts
Learn something new every day... That's interesting. And I guess better than using dents and wiper blades to judge where in your lane you are. :)

·
Registered
455 Posts
Those are called racing stripes and there purpose is so the driver of the race car can easily guide the car through the turns better, using the stripes as a reference mark vs the surrounding terrain.
the reason he made this post is because there has been many debates on this forum about whether racing stripes, meaning those that go on the hood, roof, and trunk, are better then the z28 stripes, which only go on the hood and trunk. thats why he called them the z28 stripes. also the z28 stripes have a small pinstripe around each of the stripes.

·
Registered
240 Posts
the reason he made this post is because there has been many debates on this forum about whether racing stripes, meaning those that go on the hood, roof, and trunk, are better then the z28 stripes, which only go on the hood and trunk. thats why he called them the z28 stripes
Well the race car driver probably can't see the stripes on the roof of the car, at least, not while driving. :)

The stripes on the hood have a distinct purpose, but stripes on the roof or trunk lid are just for show.

·
Registered
455 Posts
Well the race car driver probably can't see the stripes on the roof of the car, at least, not while driving. :)

The stripes on the hood have a distinct purpose, but stripes on the roof or trunk lid are just for show.
i'm not saying he could lol i was just saying the reason he called them z28 stripes as opposed to racing stripes is to distinguish between the two. the roof ones serve no practicality, but on yourcobalt racing stripes generally include the roof and z28 doesnt. personally i prefer the look of the z28 stripes on a cobalt, and others prefer the "racing stripes"

·
Registered
276 Posts
Stripes on the roof look nice and keep continuity, so the car "flows" better.

IMO, screw the roof. I pulls your eyes up and away from other things you could be seeing initially.

Or get striped seats and make it look like it runs through the car. :toung:

·
Registered
240 Posts
i'm not saying he could lol i was just saying the reason he called them z28 stripes as opposed to racing stripes is to distinguish between the two. the roof ones serve no practicality, but on yourcobalt racing stripes generally include the roof and z28 doesnt. personally i prefer the look of the z28 stripes on a cobalt, and others prefer the "racing stripes"
If memory serves me correctly, the Z-28 Camaro was the first regular production car to offer racing stripes, hence some call them, "Z-28 stripes". They are actually one and the same.

·
Registered
455 Posts
If memory serves me correctly, the Z-28 Camaro was the first regular production car to offer racing stripes, hence some call them, "Z-28 stripes". They are actually one and the same.
that may be, i'm jsut saying that on this site the common understanding is that racing stripes are two solid bars that go on the hood roof trunk, while z28 stripes are two solid bars with pinstripes around them, on the hood and trunk but not the roof. technically your probably right. but for practical use here, theres a difference.

·
Registered
2,625 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
the reason i made this was in fact because they are different. a racing stripe is two solid lines going the length of the car where as a z28 stripe(because it was on the camaro z28 and no other car) goes on the hood and trunk with a pinstripe around it and if you look closely the stripe actually rounds a bit near the center of the car. there are many different kinda. hockey stick(like on the SS), pinstripe, racing stripe, z28 stripe... they are often though of as the same but are in fact quite different

·
Registered
276 Posts
i love stripes lol and i love mine... on the roof hod trunk and interior

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.