Chevy Cobalt Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
hawaii icon
3,089 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So the state of hawaii is looking at getting rid of ethanol in our gasoline completely. Its nothing set in stone yet, but it seems to have a decent chance of happening. So my question is: Will this affect my engine and/or performance in any way? Most of you know me and my ride, but those that don't I am a 2.2L trifecta tuned 2008 LT. We only have E10 in hawaii so it's not like I'm going from E85 to straight gasoline, but I still want to be sure.

·
Registered
3,127 Posts
Yeah, it'll make it run better and probably get better mpg

Sent from the sexy electrician

·
hawaii icon
3,089 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That works for me!

·
Super Moderator
11,821 Posts
Ethanol is crap, I'm glad your state realises it!

·
Registered
368 Posts
So the state of hawaii is looking at getting rid of ethanol in our gasoline completely. Its nothing set in stone yet, but it seems to have a decent chance of happening. So my question is: Will this affect my engine and/or performance in any way? Most of you know me and my ride, but those that don't I am a 2.2L trifecta tuned 2008 LT. We only have E10 in hawaii so it's not like I'm going from E85 to straight gasoline, but I still want to be sure.
You're so lucky lol, I hate that crap in our gas.

·
Say What again!
6,037 Posts
Likely, yes.

When we were doing the tuning on one of my fraternity brother's vehicles - an '88 Mustang GT, running E85, the ramp up from winter to summer blend was enough to require us to modify the tune each time he filled up, until it settled in.

·
Registered
78 Posts
By federal regulations gasoline can only be cut to a final mixture of 10% ethanol
as this was the maximum in which car manufactures would warrant gas wise.
Ethanol mixed gas provides approx 20% less efficiency, (Power) vs using regular gas.

Locally Tennessee Pumps have the Mixed 87, 89 and 93 and there is a 4th here which is 100% 87 and a 5th which is E85.

·
Say What again!
6,037 Posts
Yes, which is why E85 is right about 105 octane. But the heating value is lower, so fuel economy decreases - but the charge is also a bit cooler, so you get lower NOx emissions.

However, if you tune the car, you can advance the timing to take advantage of the extra octane, making the engine more efficient in the process, allowing you to gain some of that fuel economy back, while making more power at the same time.

·
Super Moderator
11,821 Posts
By federal regulations gasoline can only be cut to a final mixture of 10% ethanol.
No sure this statement is absolutely correct. They can add ethanol up to less than 10% without any indication at the pump of ethanol content, anything 10% or higher has to be clearly marked at the pump.

---------- Post added at 10:10 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:00 AM ----------

E85 doesn't mean it has 85% ethanol it means it may contain up to 85% ethanol and very rarely do. For instance you would not be able to run 85% ethanol in higher elevation or colder winter days. Refineries adjust ethanol content between 22% to 83%.

·
Say What again!
6,037 Posts
Per the US DOE: "ASTM 5798 specifies the allowable fuel ethanol content in E85 as ranging from 51% to 83%"

In the summer, it usually sits at the maximum - we never saw a change once it hit full summer blend. It's an absolute whore to start if it's cold out.

·
Premium Member
3,860 Posts
The minimum ethanol content is posted on our gas pumps here in Montreal. If I remember right it's at least 10%, maybe 15%. I'll take a picture next time I'm there.

I've never seen E85 anywhere in this city or even the Greater Montreal area.

·
Say What again!
6,037 Posts
Likely E10. There are pushes to try and implement E15 in the US - but if that's the case, they'll have to mark it on the pumps.

·
hawaii icon
3,089 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Well like I said we don't have anything more than E10 here, soit won't be a drastic change. I'm just concerned about retuning because I am trifecta tuned, and the guy running trifecta is a bit of a douche lol.

·
Say What again!
6,037 Posts
Vince? I've never had an issue with him.

Watch your wideband and you'll know pretty quickly.

·
hawaii icon
3,089 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I don't think its vinnce anymore. I sent an email to vinces email addy and I got some other guy.

·
Say What again!
6,037 Posts
It's still Vince, he just did some tune work for me not too long ago.

They have a website you go through now for tunes/retunes. www.wot-tuning.com

·
hawaii icon
3,089 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Did he charge you full price for a retune? I was messaging him to try and do a retune but he told me I'd be charged full price. Plus he won't give you any discount if you have your own cable anymore :( so those of us that paid the extra to have our own cable are kinda getting screwed over

·
Say What again!
6,037 Posts
1 - 20 of 23 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.