Chevy Cobalt Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
41 - 60 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
you know... kind of funny that I'm reading this right now. I was backing into a parking spot saturday night and I heard "DING" and I looked at the dash and the message center says "power steering". I was like WTF is going on here, checked under the hood... had fluid.... so I just went into the bar and figured I'd deal with it later. I come back out and its fine.... then I read this. I guess that would explain it. If I take my 06 to the dealer are they gonna fix it?

·
Registered
11 Posts
This might be a dumb question, but can we just bring our cars in for the recall even if we're not having problems, just to get the replacement and be on the safe side? Or do we have to wait until it actually breaks?

I never had to deal with a vehicle recall before... lol

·
Registered
1,127 Posts
GM spokesman Alan Adler said it will take time for the automaker to get 1.3 million new power steering motors from the supplier, JTEKT Corp., and GM will notify car owners when the parts are available.

Adler said the failures are rare and the cars can still be driven until motors can be replaced by dealers. Drivers will see a warning light and hear a chime if the power steering fails, but they could be surprised when the steering becomes more difficult.

1.3 million motors!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! my god. Its gonna take 50 years to get all the cobalts fixed!!!!

RARE MY AZZ!!!!!!! It happens to me multiple times every time I drive my car. My wife was driving it the other day and almost ran off in a ditch cause she is so tiny and couldnt hardly steer the car!!! No more excuse GM get it fixed!!! Thank you!!! :)

---------- Post added at 10:30 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:26 AM ----------

you know... kind of funny that I'm reading this right now. I was backing into a parking spot saturday night and I heard "DING" and I looked at the dash and the message center says "power steering". I was like WTF is going on here, checked under the hood... had fluid.... so I just went into the bar and figured I'd deal with it later. I come back out and its fine.... then I read this. I guess that would explain it. If I take my 06 to the dealer are they gonna fix it?
From what I hear, we dont have fluid. Its all electronic. I dont know what fluid you checked but it wa the wrong one.... Glad its full though hahahaha

·
Registered
1,324 Posts
GM spokesman Alan Adler said it will take time for the automaker to get 1.3 million new power steering motors from the supplier, JTEKT Corp., and GM will notify car owners when the parts are available.

Adler said the failures are rare and the cars can still be driven until motors can be replaced by dealers. Drivers will see a warning light and hear a chime if the power steering fails, but they could be surprised when the steering becomes more difficult.

1.3 million motors!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! my god. Its gonna take 50 years to get all the cobalts fixed!!!!

RARE MY AZZ!!!!!!! It happens to me multiple times every time I drive my car. My wife was driving it the other day and almost ran off in a ditch cause she is so tiny and couldnt hardly steer the car!!! No more excuse GM get it fixed!!! Thank you!!! :)

---------- Post added at 10:30 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:26 AM ----------

From what I hear, we dont have fluid. Its all electronic. I dont know what fluid you checked but it wa the wrong one.... Glad its full though hahahaha
agreee, and it can get you esaly in an accident when the power steering fails

·
Registered
600 Posts
I work for chevy. I don't remember if I posted yet. But the dealership has no fix for it as of this moment. I checked all my resources. So wait like a week or two. Ill update you guys if I receive any information.

·
Registered
3,545 Posts
what do u mean fix? ugh..do u guys not read the HOW-TO that I posted?

·
Not justice...Punishment
3,829 Posts
I read it, and bookmarked it in case GM decided not to do the recall. The thing is that I would rater have them fix it than do it myself given that when the recall comes out they will do it for free. That sounds better than spending $100.00 on a new one to put in myself.

·
Registered
227 Posts
recall is official as of today, just saw it on the news.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I have had the power steering go out on me twice now and am getting ready to take it in to get it fixed. So i will post back to let you know what happens. I have read many forums that say many people have had problems with power steering. I am also taking in papers from forums to the dealership to show them about it. I really think gm needs to recall all the cobalts and fix them free of charge since they are the ones who approved of the crappy parts and are using the same company toyota uses.

·
Registered
703 Posts
I have had the power steering go out on me twice now and am getting ready to take it in to get it fixed. So i will post back to let you know what happens. I have read many forums that say many people have had problems with power steering. I am also taking in papers from forums to the dealership to show them about it. I really think gm needs to recall all the cobalts and fix them free of charge since they are the ones who approved of the crappy parts and are using the same company toyota uses.
There is a recall about to go out to all Cobalt owners.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Cobalt Steering Problems

We have had our Cobalt at the dealer several times over the last year for the power steering going out while driving. Dealer refused to fix it saying they can't find a problem. Talked to 3 different dealers yesterday and got 3 different answers. Apparently a service bulleten is out that they can begin fixing the problem on 3/19/2010 under the recall. Another dealer told me the recall notices will be mailed on 3/31/2010. The car goes back in on 3/18/2010 at 4pm. I'll keep ya'll posted

·
Registered
4 Posts
I have taken the car to the dealership and I got lucky because they had a part for the recall come in that day. So I got my car fixed. The dealership I took mine to was really friendly.

·
Registered
703 Posts
Just dropped mine off for the fuel module recall-no EPS Motors so I have to go back.
I mentioned poor mileage and he said they will check the throttle body to see if it needs cleaning. My guess is that they will recommend it (50,000 miles).
How much should it cost for a throttle body/fuel injector cleaning? He said it would be $229. Is it necessary?

41 - 60 of 60 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.