Chevy Cobalt Forum banner

The Intake System

50K views 137 replies 66 participants last post by  goaliemo 
#1 · (Edited)
What does the intake system do for your car?
The Intake system in any car is responsible for allowing the engine to breathe and helps your engine run cool. Why would you want to replace your stock intake system? It's a great DIY to get your hands dirty on your cobalt, it's a cheap easy mod that frees up some ponies, and it can improve your fuel economy as well.
--Your basic intake system (such as on our cars) includes--

1. The Intake
2. The Filter
3. The MAF Sensor (Mass Airflow Sensor) which we have or a MAP sensor (Mass Manifold Pressure Sensor).
4. The Throttle Body
5. The Intake Manifold

(*)SAI or Secondary Air Injection (On late 2006+ Cobalt L61 equipped)

The Intake
Why get an aftermarket intake system? Our stock airboxes are very restrictive. By allowing our engines to run cooler and breathe easier, we can FREE UP more power. It is important to note that an intake is not a power adder but a power free-er. There are also two types of intakes which are explained in this write-up: http://www.yourcobalt.com/forums/engine-mods/7885-starters-bolt-performance-mod-list.html

The Filter
There are two major types of filters. The first type offered by AEM is a dryflow filter meaning there is no additive oil. The problem with this oil is that it can effectively ruin the Mass Airflow Sensor. Of course many companies offer oiled filters with their systems such as K&N. The filter does just what it states: it filters the incoming air so we don't get any junk in the air in our combustion chamber. The stock filter is somewhat restrictive and doesn't let as much air into the intake piping as teh material that is used in aftermarket filters.

The MAF (Mass Airflow Sensor)
The MAF sensor senses the intake charge coming into the engine so the ECU (Engine Control Unit) knows how much fuel to deliver via the fuel injection system. The air mass coming into constantly changes from temperature (cold air is denser than warm air). Why is this important? If your ECU supplies too little or too much fuel, your performance is greatly effected and detonation can occur. That's why you MAF sensor is your friend.

The Throttle Body
The Throttle body allows the incoming air from the intake into the intake manifold via a butterfly valve. The butterfly valve is opened when the electronic throttle receives the signal that the gas has been pressed. Throttle body size can have an effect on throttle response, horsepower, and torque. The usual rule of thumb is a larger TB will yield better throttle response and higher horsepower because of the larger airflow. However, if you cannot tune for this and you increase your throttle body dimensions by a substantial amount, you can make your car run lean and possibly cause a fuel surge. A fuel surge is a surge of fuel from the ECU because the engine senses a lot more air so it delivers a large amount of fuel at once but sparactically. I'm not sure if our cars do this or not. It may throw the car into Limp mode because of running too lean meaning the car is at a reduced power level.

The Intake Manifold
What is the intake manifold? An intake manifold receives the air coming from the intake, through the butterfly valve of the throttle body, and evenly distributes the air into the ports in cylinder head via runners (true for port injection). There has been much debate on here about the 2.4L SS/NA manifold swap onto the 2.2L L61 motor. The major problem is that low end torque is decreased when longer, thinner runners of the SS manifold are sending the air charge to the ports. There is an increase in upper RPM horsepower and small increase in torque but a low end loss in torque is evident. That is why it is a better idea to get a free flowing exaust as well as a free flowing Intake system. Though this may sound like a lot, for roughly 800 dollars, you can gain approximately 20-25hp which isn't bad.

Here is the SS/NA manifold replacement kit for the 2.2L: Ecotec HO Intake Manifold Kit 2.2MMGF - Crate Engine Depot

The reason this changes the low end torque is because the incoming intake velocity is altered.

Secondary Air Injection
In Late model 2006 and up models of the L61 level cobalts, GM implemented a system called SAI or Secondary Air Injection. SAI is basically an emissions conrtol device and is basically a hose after the MAF and before the throttle body connection to the engine on a small port. Basically (from what I understand) air comes into the intake from the filter, up the intake piping and the SAI takes some of that air and pumps that to mix with the exaust fumes to affectively lower the emissions. It's important to note when buying an intake system if you have SAI or not.

I hope this sheds some light into why an intake system is so important. Again, a cooler engine is a happier engine! Happy modding.

See less See more
#41 ·
didnt even read this thread, no idea if this was mention but instead of spending money on a $150+ intake go ahead and save yourself the money and do the airbox mod. this link is for the SS/t LNF Factory Airbox Mod - Cobalt SS Network

this link is for the 2.2 le5 Cobalt SS Network

And for the lsj just open the box and secure the new filter so it doesnt fall out.

#42 ·
didnt even read this thread, no idea if this was mention but instead of spending money on a $150+ intake go ahead and save yourself the money and do the airbox mod. this link is for the SS/t LNF Factory Airbox Mod - Cobalt SS Network

this link is for the 2.2 le5 Cobalt SS Network

And for the lsj just open the box and secure the new filter so it doesnt fall out.
Just an FYI.. I have seen the difference between a simple airbox mid and a real intake. The air box mod is good until you can get a real intake, but the stock intake system is still VERY restrictive even after the mod. Not to mention that with a real metal intake, it makes the S/C whine SO loud! A real intake is definitely worth it IMO.

#43 ·
for the sc version the tb opening is only around 2.5 the stock intake is 2.5 making ti exactly the proper size and it is already designed as a cold air intake. When you get into the metal intakes you pay more money than necessary. unless you port your tb it will have no gained effects. ive used the airbox mod and the fujita intake and the only real difference is the sound. It all depends on your budget. im trying to help people with information on how to save themselves money.

#45 ·
intake

i have the 2.2 eco tech and want a cold air intake or any other kinda intake but i dont wanna run into issues installing and i dont wanna break the bank. I just paid off my whip last week and lost my job (tough times) now i got some free time and bout $100 bucks free. so what mod should i look at for my engine. just finished a Full synthetic oil change

#46 ·
i have the 2.2 ecotec and want a cold air intake or any other kinda intake but i dont wanna run into issues installing and i dont wanna break the bank. I just paid off my whip last week and lost my job (tough times) now i got some free time and bout $100 bucks free. so what mod should i look at for my engine. just finished a Full synthetic oil change
well any intake is not difficult to install. Please try to search. And read this entire thread for some ideas as for what intake you need. Your answers are most likely in here.

#48 ·
ebay intake

was just looking for a new intake on ebay and found this thing:
2005-2009 Chevy Cobalt Cold Air Intake System 05 06 07 : eBay Motors (item 370326688367 end time Mar-28-10 12:13:03 PDT)

Has anyone ever heard of anything like this? Most of the time I don't buy into it, but whatever, i'm easily convinced. I had an AEM CAI on my ZX3, hated it. looking for something different. kinda wanted a filter i didn't have to oil, but it looks like i'll be going K&N or Weapon R FTW... Unless someone says this is worth a shot.

#51 ·
not all cobalts from late 06 and up have secondary air injection. I have an 07 ls and do not have secondary air injection.

#53 ·
c if any1 can help me out just recently got n2 balts i have an 06 2.4 w/sai i installed a weapon r intake n when i downshift n smash on the throttle it bogs out or limp mode like it says on the write up i guess from what i read here its a fuel surge. i took it all apart but it on again stills does the same s*** no codes am out of ideas???????

#56 ·
I have heard a *LOT* of problems with Weapon R intakes. I was looking at buying one, but someone on here convinced me to just get an Injen. A week later, I saw two or three people who bought them complaining that their engine would bog down and almost "suffocate" or cause other problems. I'd stay away.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.